Announcements (February 25, 2001)
1. Our two bit collection this Sunday is for Women's Injury Network. Founded by Houston Lawyer Amy McInerny, Women's Injury Network helps those who have been injured by an abortion procedure. As you know, surgical abortions are virtually unregulated in our country. Your contributions will help support this important work.
2. Thank you for your donations last weekend for our parish St. Vincent de Paul Society. $1638 were donated to assist the poor within our parish boundaries.
3. This Wednesday is the beginning of Lent. The imposition of ashes will take place at all Masses: 8:30 a.m., noon and 6 p.m. in English and 8 p.m. in Spanish.
4. Ash Wednesday (and Good Friday) are the two official fast days. Those 18 thru 59 are obliged to limit their eating to one full meal and two lighter meals for the day. In addition the seven Fridays of Lent are days of abstinence from meat. You are encouraged also to participate in Friday evening Soup Supper at 5:30 p.m. and Stations of the Cross each Friday at 7 p.m.
5. On Monday and Tuesday of this week Eucharistic Adoration will be in the Church as we complete the final work on the Ailbe House Chapel. Around the Clock Eucharist Adoration begins this Thursday March 1 at 12:01 p.m. Due to lack of adorers there will not be Eucharistic Adoration from Sunday noon to midnite, but at all other hours the Ailbe House Chapel will open for prayer before the exposed Blessed Sacrament.
6. Please pick up your Rice Bowl at the entrance of the Church and place it on your dining table as a reminder of prayer, fasting and almsgiving. Rice Bowl donations, which will go to Catholic Relief Services, can be returned on the Fourth Sunday of Lent and Easter.
7. This Thursday is the First Thursday of March. Fr. Ramon Velasco and I will be available from 4 to 8 p.m. in the Church for confessions.
8. The booklet, Drawing Closer to God, is available at the entrances of the Church. For just one dollar you can purchase this excellent companion for prayer and meditation during Lent.
9. Beginning March 8 Dr. Jan Hemstad, M.D. together with his wife Darcy Hemstad, R.N. and Katherine Eames, MBA will be teaching a course on the Billings Method of Natural Family Planning. The course will take place from 7 to 9 p.m. at Providence Hospital. Please see the bulletin board for more information.
10. Sacred Heart Radio of Seattle is now on the air 24 hours a day. If you have not yet done so, please tune your AM radio to 1050 for excellent Catholic programing. Also please note the flier in the bulletin regarding EWTN on cable. Please write to the address given so that this Catholic television station might be made available twenty four hours a day.
11. The First Eucharist preparation classes begin on March 5. Please see the bulletin for more information.
12. Scrip is for sale after Mass. Last year Scrip netted several thousand dollars for our school and parish. By using scrip for your purchases of gasoline, food, etc. you help Holy Family - at no additional cost to yourself.
13. Coffee and donuts after the 8 a.m. Mass today.